Advancing through the Program
In the past, participants progressed through levels by demonstrating inner strength, character, and the life and golf skills they have learned. All participants regardless of age started at the PLAYer level.
Moving into 2022 and beyond, First Tee as a whole will be moving to Age-Based Curriculum. Most parents and families are already used to looking for classes based on their child’s age, so we are making it much easier to keep track of your child’s progress. Below is a breakdown of the age groups:
- Ages 5-6 – PeeWee (First Tee Curriculum starts at age 7)
- Ages 7-9 – Tee it up for the first time and learn the game of golf and First Tee’s Code of Conduct
- Ages 10-11 – Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course
- Ages 12-13 – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality
- Ages 14+Up – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community
In 2022, Chapters will begin using an enhanced and modernized curriculum across all programs, aligned to the age-based format described above. This is the culmination of a multi-year effort involving our network and industry experts from youth development and sports psychology. As youth self-identity evolves, a value system inherently develops within them so we took the opportunity to reimagine how the “nine core values” might be integrated into program content, while welcoming concepts outside of the nine values themselves. First Tee’s Commitment to Being a Game Changer and the 5 Key Commitments serve as a compass and an invitation for participants to come as they are so they can further uncover what’s inside of them, becoming the best versions of who they already are.
Kids will benefit from age-appropriate learning experiences, with updated content that meets the needs of today’s youth. Increased engagement. The Key Commitments will help our participants discover and uncover what is inside of them and build and strengthen those assets that enable them to grow and flourish throughout life.
On the Golf Course
Junior golf is just part of First Tee. Through our program that strengthens character, kids will learn life skills that stay with them into the rest of their lives, like:
- Understanding and managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity